The J. Roscoe Williams Memorial Scholarship is a permanently endowed gift in honor of the life of Mr. J. Roscoe Williams.
J. Roscoe Williams was born in Harper County, Kan., in 1910. Following graduation from Conway Springs High School, he studied at the American Business College in Wichita. He went to work for Federal Land Bank of Wichita and married Iva Geraldine “Jeri” Chitwood on June 9, 1935. During World War II, he joined the United States Navy and served aboard a tanker for 26 months until he was honorably discharged following the war’s end.
In 1951, Mr. Williams entered the residential field of real estate by assisting with the foundation of Wichita Realty Inc. where he served as the organization’s president until its dissolution. He also served as president of the Wichita Board of Realtors in 1959 and for three years was a commissioner on the local housing authority board. He was a member of the former Wichita Area Homebuilders Association and held life memberships in the National Federation of Music clubs.
In November 1977, Mr. Williams passed away. His wife died shortly thereafter in December. A bequeath from their estate established the J. Roscoe Williams Memorial Scholarship. For many years, this fund has greatly assisted real estate students while perpetuating the memory of Mr. Williams.
The scholarship is meant to support a declared real estate major in their junior or senior year at Wichita State University. Scholarship applications are typically due by mid-February each year.
- A scholarship will be awarded annually to a student enrolled full or part time at Wichita State University in the W. Frank Barton School of Business.
- No recipient will be excluded from consideration based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a veteran or disability.
- The recipient must be declared in a major with an emphasis in real estate.
- The recipient will be of junior or senior standing.
- The recipient must be in good academic standing in the School of Business.
- The award will be given without regard to financial need.
- The Scholarship Office, a department within the Division of Student Affairs of Wichita State University, will administer the scholarship and make the award based on the recommendation approved by the Center for Real Estate.
- The scholarship may be renewed for one (1) year if awarded to a student at the junior level.